[This post is done as part of GaCoWriMo, my own personal twist to NaNoWriMo.]
With the addition of the actually-useful blue check marks last week and end-to-end encryption today, Whatsapp is becoming more and more the perfect IM app. That is, of course, on top of the fact that Whatsapp is already the “best” by sheer userbase (it certainly seems to be the winner here in sunny Singapore, at least in my own experience). After all, what’s most important on a chatting app is, well, people to chat with right?
Still, there are a few small features I’d like to see come to this app, features that rival apps have that would make this one sparkle just that tiny tad more. None of them are really essential, great as the app already is, but it sure wouldn’t hurt to make something awesome even more awesome.
- Group chat tab/button: one thing I’m constantly annoyed by is wanting to post something to a group, only to have to scroll through an entire list of more recent chats before locating it (and sometimes missing it in over-zealous scrolling). It would be nice to see all my groups collated in a single tab, free from individual chats.
- Cross-platform synchrony: I’m pretty sure that I’m not the only one asking for this feature. Whatsapp is currently available on almost all mobile platforms but you can only use one at a time. I wish I could use it across all my devices (desktop/laptop access would be ace!) and also have the chat history sync across them. If Telegram and Google Hangouts can do it, I don’t see why Whatsapp cannot.
- Themes: as it is, I think the Whatsapp look is the prettiest in the market (at least far more so than Line, its nearest competitor here). Still, having a choice of different themes (and not just the ability to change wallpapers as it already offers) would mix it up a little, considering how often we have to look at it.
- Stickers: this is a feature to be found on almost any other IM app, with rivals like Line having perfected the art of it. It’s definitely not a crucial feature, sure, but it wouldn’t hurt to pepper up a conversation with the occasional hilariously-apt sticker or two. Hey, if the much-crucified Facebook Messenger can do it (and do it well), I’m sure Whatsapp can too.
- Gif support: like the above entry, this one is gaining traction amongst some apps (Telegram, for one, introduced it earlier today) and I’ve had so many times when I wanted to insert a gif into a conversation I was having because it just felt so right for the moment but couldn’t. Blame it on Tumblr, I guess.
Like I said, most of these features aren’t particularly important and Whatsapp is great as it is but it wouldn’t hurt it to introduce more features to stay competitive.
Dear reader, what IM apps do you use? Do you use Whatsapp? What feature would you like to see on it, if you do?